Cowboy Programming Game Development and General Hacking by the Old West

May 20, 2009

AURemoteIOServer Error getting default device UID: ‘!obj’

Filed under: Game Development — Mick West @ 8:15 pm

Normally when  get an novel error message I just look it up on the internet, and get some clue as to the solution.  But this was a first, no clue at all.  Even the “AURemoteIOServer” hardly showed up at all.  So I though I’d share my solution, to help the three other people who have similar problems.

Here’s the deal.  Programming on the iPhone using the simulator on a Mac Mini.  I buy a meaty Mac Pro, which compiles incredibly fast, migrate everything over, but when I run code with OpenAL in it, it crashes with the above error and an unclear call stack.

Solution:  Went into System Preferences -> Sound -> Output, and saw the device was set to iPhoneSimulatorAudioDevice, I changed this to “Internal Speakers”, rebooted, and all was well.

(actually, changed it to Digital Out first, but that was no crash, yet silent, so then changed to Internal Speakers after reboot).

What caused this?  Who knows? I suspect it was something to do with XCode not being migrated, possibly because my OSX was 10.5.7 on the Mini and 10.5.6 on the Pro.  Anyway, it was an obscure bug, and the lesson learned was that you have to dig around related things somtimes, especially in a loose system like the emulator – which is not really emulating, just being a narrow window on the Mac’s hardware, hence is calling the Mac’s sound code.

18 Comments »

  1. Thanks Mick, you saved me a bunch of time. Though, for me, restarting the simulator after the setting was changed worked just fine (no reboot required).

    Comment by Andy Berdan — June 9, 2009 @ 8:48 am

  2. Hi Mick,

    Thanks for this nice post. It is great to post both solution and cause both.

    Comment by New cars — July 20, 2009 @ 3:14 am

  3. Thanks, for the useful info, just save me lots of time and moeny.

    Comment by Music Videos — July 30, 2009 @ 6:16 am

  4. Thanks for the information I going to try to fix some of the problems what i have before !

    Comment by Yuly Navas — August 6, 2009 @ 9:43 pm

  5. This usually happens because I sometimes mix Platform SDK versions. Solution? Build with the new one, link with the old one. (In other words, move the new platform SDK to the bottom of the directories list in include & link)

    Comment by ZigBee — August 13, 2009 @ 7:45 am

  6. Thanks i was struggling with that, you just saved me even more head scratching and pulling. my hairdresser says thanks.

    Comment by J Surrey — August 19, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

  7. Great Post Mick.And Thank For The Information.

    Comment by nintendo r4ds — August 20, 2009 @ 10:44 pm

  8. thanks for this and for sharing it with us, it would come in handy in the future… i also google solutions (or clues) for things when i get on a dead end… but there are just things that aren’t ‘on’ the web yet..

    Comment by Kirk — August 24, 2009 @ 10:14 am

  9. Thanks very useful – already help me in work.

    Comment by креативная реклама — September 8, 2009 @ 1:35 am

  10. Incredibly helpful – never considered this
    Thanks

    Comment by corporate video — September 8, 2009 @ 8:54 am

  11. Thank you so much for let us know this information and for this discussion I learned some good things.

    Comment by fx trading — September 10, 2009 @ 9:01 am

  12. Thanks Mick, I’ve had the same problem, but Google found your site and now sound works fine. In my case yesterday everything was working and the only thing I’ve done since then was a Update of Itunes to the new Version 9.

    Comment by bholly — September 12, 2009 @ 3:26 am

  13. These errors seem to come up all the time. I guess I am not the only one that got the AURemoteIOServer error and searched for it. Thanks for the solution it worked.

    Comment by Brad — September 15, 2009 @ 9:29 am

  14. well different bugs comes with time and it is not necessary that you will find traces of errors in web because it is possible you may only got the error first.whacky anyways you gave the solution to users is appreciable.

    Comment by simon — October 25, 2009 @ 7:10 am

  15. Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have had that error message too and until now there was nothing I could find online that would solve it. I’m glad the solution turned out to be so simple.

    Comment by van lines movers — January 12, 2010 @ 10:26 am

  16. Thanks, I had this error the other day , i had to do a cold reboot of the Iphone. I might have to see if anything has changed in the sound pref.
    thanks for the tip.

    Comment by jonathan — January 25, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

  17. Great blog and concept I like the cowboy programming since i’m from the lone star state.

    Keep it up!

    Comment by Boynton Beach — February 15, 2010 @ 8:46 pm

  18. thanks for the solution, I was searching since one hour !

    Comment by vitrier — March 11, 2010 @ 9:10 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Powered by WordPress